Saturday, May 17, 2008

Romania

In the end of March the National Honor Society at my school went to Salonta, Romania to work in an orphanage for a weekend. It was an amazing experience. It’s right next to the Hungarian boarder so every one spoke Hungarian and Romanian. It was so nice to be able to communicate with these darling little kids. It broke my heart to see so many kids from 1-18 without a family. It made me realize how blessed I am-I am so grateful for my wonderful family.


These are the buildings they live in. They use to be army barracks and the gov. had donated them.
I spent most of the day working in the garden

This was my buddy Atilla, He probably hugged me 1000 times that weekend. None of the kids could say my name, it usually turned out to be something like Weenie. So I told them my name was Kate, then I was called Katya, Kata, & Kate. The poor kids probably thought I was deaf because they would have to say Katya 10 times before I realized that they were talking to me. And every time they called me Kate I would smile and remember the wonderful woman I was named after- my grandmother. 


We played a lot of Futball (thats how you say Soccer)


For every meal(3x a day, all year round) they have to walk 15 minutes to the main orphanage, so we did a bike drive and brought them more bikes. 

These were all my little girls- Oh I love them

When it was time to leave they begged us to stay, which made leaving even harder

They blocked the gate so that we couldn’t get through. It crushed my heart. I am going to do all I can to find a way back to Salonta before I go back to Utah.

No comments: