Friday, May 16, 2008

Budapest

I have been living in Budapest for almost 2 years and absolutely love it! In my opinion it is one of the prettiest places that I have ever been. Its historic charm, with all of the castles, is truly picturesque. Although it is completely different from Bountiful I am so grateful that I live in Budapest.


Parliament- my favorite sight

The Chain Bridge
Fisherman's Bastion in the Castle District right next to my house

Heroes Square- the millennial monument  

Va'ci utca- Also known as "Fashion Street"- I love this place!

Váci Utca is the main walking/shopping street in Hungary and is always packed

On March 15- The national day- in a square next to Váci there was a market/festival that had Hungarian food and hand made goods- too much fun!

Hungarian Gulyas being stirred by a kis magyar la'ny

These are really good scone like things that Hungarians eat with garlic, sour cream (they eat sour cream with almost everything), and cheese

St. Mátyás templom- St. Mathew's Church
Budapest at night


St. Stephen's Basilica 

Budapest is full of statues and monuments, but this has to be one of my favorites. 1/10 of the Jews that died in the Holocaust were Hungarian Jews. They use to chain Jews together and then make them take off their shoes (they were the only thing of value) and line them up by the river and shoot them, that way they didn't have to get rid of their bodies. It is said that the Danube flowed red during these times. This monument has shoes of all types and sizes, childrens and adults. It remembers lives that were seen as less valuable than the shoes on their feet.

The chain bridge at night

Home sweet home

No comments: