Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Second Week in Merida

Friday July 3

Friday we went to Chichen Itza. There are two ways I could look at this day. One, it was a hot  we got lectured in Spanish in the sun for hours. Or two, we saw incredible ancient sights, went to the best cenote yet, and I had some powerful moments where I saw God's hand in my life. I will pick the second view. Chichen Itza is about a 2 hour drive from Merida and is a huge community of ruins. They are spread out over 18 km of land, we were just in the main area. I have never seen so many vendors in my life. They were all selling these small wooden jaguar heads that you could use to make jaguar calls. My teacher threatened us with our lives if anyone bought one... after hearing them for 4 hours straight we understood why:) My mama had told me that this was the best place to buy hand stitched souvenirs. I decided I wanted a white coverup dress. The whole day I spent keeping my eye open for what I wanted. At the end of the day we were allowed to shop for 20 minutes and so I ran with 2 other girls to the other side of the site  where we had seen dresses. Within five minutes I narrowed it down to two dresses in two different shops. I liked one slightly more than the other but I liked the woman in the other shop more she seemed more honest and fair. She gave me a really good deal for a dress with so much hand stitching.  In the morning after my morning prayer I had the thought I should make friends with a girl in my program named Rebecca. I didn't think twice about it or think of it as a prompting.

 This one reminded me of the testaments. It is the Mayan rain god Cha. 


 After Profe doing this in a few pictures you can look at my face and see how I felt. haha. I am glad we have a director who knows how to have fun!
 Jordan and I at the main temple.
 It was a really hot day. 
 Coolest cenote of my life!
 Jordan and I tried our hardest to get a picture but couldn't get the lighting right with my phone. 


 Rebecca and I after our adventures. This is her blog: http://rjcarr27.blogspot.mx/2015/07/chichen-itza-excursion-2.html

 This picture is dedicated to Sister Roberts (a senior sister who served in Hungary) who taught me the beauty of appreciating almond magnum bars. 





Saturday July 4
Happy Independence day from Mexico!



Sunday July 5
Church
Cockroach


Monday July 6 Uxmal


Tuesday July 7
School?
Bought gym passes

Wednesday July 8
Got home early laid out
hung out with the locals at YSA activity


random facts about mexico
the toilet only flushes about 50% of the time. I just always pray that it is the right 50% of the time.


No comments: